Yukon Quest 2005!
So, the Yukon Quest started this afternoon - check this out for more info: www.yukonquest.com. It's been a busy weekend just volunteering for this thing!! But it's pretty fun being there right in the thick of things, as chaotic as it is.
It was a beautiful, sunny day. A bit chilly, probably hovering around -20 all day? I don't know, it was -32 at 8am, and that's about all I was aware of in the morning while I was prying myself out of my toasty warm bed to stand outside for the next 6 hours.... (well worth it though)
Here's a few of the pics that turned out ok:
This was the calm before the storm - ahhh, so peaceful... no worries...

Hey, let's pose!! Steph and I now functioning after our giganto mugs of BAILEY'S and coffee! That girl is always thinking about the important things in the morning and had one ready for each of us today when I picked her up.... yeah, now that's what friends are for.

Gerry, our local mush-a-holic neighbor (and trail groomer extraordinaire) - no doubt pumped to be talking and thinking about his FAVOURITE subject 24 hrs/day! Go Gerry!!

The Muktuk Experience

Gotta love everything about this guy, John Schandelmeier - actually running in front of the team - lookit that gap he's made people! Put a harness on HIM!

Dan Kaduce on his way:

Peter Ledwidge, smiling as usual!

Jon Little - go man! I picked you to win...

Approx 15 miles down the trail is the Takhini River Bridge crossing, a popular place to watch the mushers go by. We saw #'s 17-21. Freking first, then Hopkins, then Turner:

I think this is Bourassa - he's #19, but took off his friggin' bib already!

And Shallow Bay Chicken Gerry!!



3 Comments:
Hey Stace,
Jon Little!? Too funny. Were you talking to him? What's up in Kasilof? Why's he running the Quest and not the Iditarod? Cheers, Jen
Hey Jen! Yeah, I forgot about your/our Jon Little connection! A mere short 5 years ago... Nah, didn't get a chance to chat as it was freaky crazy out there today.
Why Quest? To try the better... I mean, *other* Great Race!!! :-)
Actually, Jon Little can't run the Iditarod for awhile because he is covering it as a reporter for Cabela's.....
Post a Comment
<< Home