Sunday, January 30, 2005

Race Preparation

I'm going in a skijoring race next weekend, so all efforts are focused on that! Last night, Jon and I skijored from here to prep for the race. The race is 12 miles and we want to do that mileage a few times (at least) before. It was a lovely -26C out, but you barely notice the cold skijoring since you're usually keeping warm (and sweaty!) by skiing. When we got back though, we had huge chunks of ice on our eyelashes and frosty faces!! So I went out first and Jon and his team of Rottweilers followed shortly after. Damn, those things are Ha-UGE!! But very sweet dogs.

Lookit the size of those heads!!!!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I took out Harris & Jack since this would be their longest skijor. Man, those little beasts came back like they hadn't even been anywhere. We did about 10 miles and Laura saw them when we got back and commented "are you sure you just didn't go to the end of the driveway and hide out!?!" She couldn't believe they just ran 10 miles. Jack wasn't even panting. Harris was a bit, but they were full of energy. Great sign!!

Now I'm really strugging with the decision on who to take in the 2-3 dog class. I could take Ripper, Jack AND Harris. And possibly risk my life and limbs going through the wooded trail next weekend, OR I could just take two. All three are so good, I can't decide!! Ripper loves going fast, and will keep the pace up. Harris is STRONG (75 lbs), and Jack is steady. Hmmm.... maybe I'll aim for all 3... and just hope like hell that I can hang on and make the turns.


4 Comments:

At 11:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stabie,

I'm procrastinating!

One of our friends in Toronto has a Rotweiller/ Staffordshire terrier (i.e. PITBULL) cross-- its head is the size of a rottie's but looks like a pitbull. Super scary: he reminds me of the 3 headed dog in Harry Potter. Also, his favourite spot for that big mug is one's lap--rarely have I had surges of adrenaline as when he sits at your knees and tries to plop his head down (a few bear scares come to mind as being in the same league). He is, however, the sweetest dog and has gone along way (but there is a long way left) in dousing my strong prejudice against pit bulls.

Luckily, I've always been partial to rotties in the big dog category. These ones are super, well cute for lack of a better word. Good luck in the race!

Cheers, Jen

 
At 1:01 p.m., Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Hey Jen! Yeah, they're actually pretty nice dogs. They're big downfall is dragging Jonathan on his arse to get to my dogs to come visit!! If they *want* to, they will. Luckily he's got them under pretty good control!

It's all about the owners training these big guys properly and not perpetuating that demon dog image.

 
At 5:06 p.m., Blogger Ted Heistman said...

Good luck on your race Stacie. Sounds like you have some good prospects yto choose from. i was thinking maybe you could have some opne time you with each pair and then take the fastest?

Good luck

Ted

 
At 8:36 p.m., Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Hey Ted, great idea. But I don't have enough time for that now! I'll try it for the next race. Good news is, is that I'm going to go with Jack & Harris (2 I KNOW I can control in the trees) and my neighbor needs one dog to do the race. Since I'd like Ripper to try racing, I'm going to loan him for the race. It'll just suck if they beat me!! No... I'd be happy if they did that well. Really!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home