Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Farewell....

This is going to be a different post. Our family just found out today our grandfather (and father) just passed away last night... :-(

So this is kind of a tribute to him:

"Poppa" as we affectionately called him, was a ripe ol' 92 years old. Although it's heartbreaking for all of us and those who knew this gentle, caring soul who we'll miss dearly - things were getting rougher for him lately. I guess he went on to meet up once again with "Nanna" - his wife (and our dearly missed mother and grandmother - the grand matriarch of the family!) of over 50 years. It will be a happy, joyous reunion, I'm sure.

I'll never forget Poppa's little giggle when he would make a joke under his breath; the funny banter between him and Nanna, but more often shown was their adoration for each other; his quiet, yet *devious* nature ;-); his super-ultra competitive side (which always came out at our *fun* family card games, and served him well in his pro bowling days I'm sure!); his generosity to all four of us grandkids; his (and my grandmothers) pride of my mushing lifestyle, and his insistence on showing (poor) unsuspecting guests my front-page newspaper photo; their appreciation of the letters I wrote, no matter *how* much I talked dogs; and most of all, the love he had for and shared with my grandmother, mom and aunt when he entered their lives many years ago.

I'll always thank him as the one who brought my *lifestyle* and take on life into perspective for the rest of the family (mostly my mom!) - by merely saying I "always march to the beat of my own drum" - those words had more power than he'll ever realize and resonate decades later after he first spoke those words.

So farewell Poppa, you sweet soul, till we meet again...

3 Comments:

At 12:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big hugs to you, Stacie... We were so sad to hear of your grampa's passing. Your tribute was very sweet, showing your fondness and respect for him. It sounds like he was a really important influence in your life... you are so fortunate to have had someone like him in your corner for so long... And that is something you'll never lose. All the best during this difficult time... May happy memories ease your sadness.
Lots of love, Jason and Lesley

 
At 12:41 a.m., Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Thanks for your kind words you guys... it really means a lot.

 
At 3:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie, from the other grand daughter. I to have memories of my funny sweet pops. I remember when he worked at Simpsons in the childrens wear department and bought me a dark green velvet dress with a lace collar. I flet so special and his girl. I always find that when someone you love passes to the other side it is really the people left behind that we are sad for.. like you mentioned Popa is not with his Millie and our Nana. talke care love your cousin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home