Friday, January 21, 2005

Ripper & Jack shine in lead!

I've been wanting to try Ripper in lead right from the start for awhile now. Actually, I have *tried*. He was always so easily distracted and didn't care that he was attached to a line with 9 other screechy, yappy dogs. So he'd wander around and visit... not a good quality for a lead dog who really has to keep things together!! He was never really up to the job.... till today!

My thinking was to get him out in lead early, but to be safe I'd start with Rupert and Jack in lead. Today though, Rupert decided to *razz* Jack a little bit and started snapping and lunging at him.... basically being a pain in the ass! Jack is the mellowest dog and so good-natured, that I've never ever seen him fight or even snarl at another dog. He didn't take a liking to this madman beside him, so he was distracted, backing up and generally annoyed. Rupert got a tug on his neckline (a'la me), and a "No!" Well, he turned around to Jack, and did it again before I left and so I figured I'd get him out of there before he totally screwed up Jack. I put him in wheel (last position) to keep him out of trouble.

Here's that trouble-maker and his yoda ears:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Poor Rupert - he means well, it's just that he basically loses control when we hookup and turns into this deranged freak.

I decided it was Ripper's chance today! So I somewhat apprehensively led him to the front. The ol' switch must have been flipped "on" for him today because he didn't turn around, he didn't goof off, he was ready for business! He really kept it together. Jack and Ripper made a great pair of leaders.

We had MORE snow today! Unbelievable for Whitehorse. The trails were once again covered in a fresh layer of snow and unbroken for the most part. A snowmobile had been on parts of the trail, but it often veered off the trail. The dogs naturally followed it, being the obvious trail. So I yelled a "gee!" at one point, and to my amazement, Ripper veered right instantly to our usual trail!! Jack was right along with him.

Snowy yard...
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was very careful to keep Jack in it and not have him bail on me like our last longer run. You never want a dog to quit on you and lose that trust they have in you. I was a bit worried about him, and made sure we were all happy, taking breaks when we needed to (even though they didn't want to stop for more than a minute!). But he always bounces back after a crap run and usually shines. Even though it was a bit of a slog of a run, because of the snow and hills, but we did it in pretty good time. I never remember to time myself but just happened to look at the clock before I left. It took us about an hour - so 10 miles/hr - I was happy with that given the snowy conditions today. They worked hard (as did I!) on hills and in the deeper, punchy snow. Beauty of a run!

Here we are on our way down the ditch - about to cross Shallow Bay road:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 Comments:

At 3:36 p.m., Blogger Nomad said...

Wow, cool blog. Yukon is somewhere I have always wanted to go. I met a guy from Old Crow, while in Germany four years ago and what he said has made me want to try it out for a year. At least it will be cooler than the tropical heat I am experiencing at the moment.

p.s. Saw your post on the Aus/NZ LP Thorntree branch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home