Thursday, March 17, 2005

New face in the yard

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I've been interested in these "Second Chance League (SCL)" dogs for a while now. Up in Fairbanks, they've developed a *sled dog rescue league*. The Fairbanks shelter is totally over-run with dogs, and due to the large number of mushing kennels, many are sled dogs - some with excellent bloodlines! SCL is made up of a group of Fairbanks mushers who really are giving these dogs a second chance. The volunteers in SCL put a lot of time into picking out potential sleddogs from the shelter, evaluating them, training them, and putting them in foster care until they can find them permanent homes.

ENTER: LOKI!!!
Loki might be a bit of a challenge. He was dropped off by his foster, Heather, who was on her way to run the Percy in Dawson a couple days ago. Loki and I are *getting to know each other* and I'll decide on him by Sunday when Heather passes through again. Already though, I really like this guy even though he does have some issues.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Here he is on the right after our first run with him, beside Octane. He looks really good and happy here, which was a stark contrast to the previous day when he was freaked out and running into his house everytime he saw me. They tell me Loki came into the shelter at a mere 5 months old and was a terrified pup. He's now just over a year and is still EXTREMELY shy and scared of people - so much that he'll sit there and shake when you pet him. However, he LOVES other dogs and feels comfortable around them. I've had him in his own small pen for the last 2 days, but he was really whining and barking and just seemed lonely as he'd look over to all the other dogs playing with each other. So, today I decided to put him in with my young guys, and then added Rupert and Octane. This is how he reacted after about only 10 minutes in the pen:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
He's the little excited one flipping around on the left. Even though he's over 1, he's got this crazy puppy-ish quality. Maybe because he didn't have much of a puppyhood? But he's pretty funny to watch. He took no time at all starting to play and followed all the other dogs around non-stop. Initially after I brought him in, I wandered around the yard and he was really close, following us. I thought "cool! He just needs to be around other dogs and he's fine with people. He may actually like people!?!" Well, I soon realized that NO, he was way more interested in Jack & Harris and was following THEM, not me!! They just happened to be right at my feet as I was walking, so it was mere coincidence that Loki was that close. As I sat down, J&H were right on top of me once again, and Loki was desperate to be near them. He absolutely craves dog company. That's how I got the nice closeup shot of him. He didn't really pay much attention to me, it was more all about the other dogs. But at least I know how to make him happy and content.

Some obligatory butt sniffing:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

He and Octane then started a wicked game of "Chase" out there as I watched from inside. Loki got all 4 of the others going and ripping around after him. Other than a couple warning growls (those kind that warn kooky, out-of-control pups to take it easy), everything was very civil. I was very proud of my guys for being so nice to this new guy. I think Octane is his new best friend though! Here he is looking a bit tense as the others check him out, but then play resumed.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, I have to transfer him to his own pen (for feeding) and am wondering just how the heck I'm going to catch him inside that nice big pen tonight?

If anyone out there has any suggestions or experience on how to deal with a really shy dog like this - feel free to let me know! I welcome any input. I may need it...

3 Comments:

At 9:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice looking dog. I've rescued several sled dogs and for a shy one like this it just takes time. He needs to develop trust. And food doesn't hurt either, especially when you are trying to catch him. If he's a food hound then just approach him with a snack. It might take several months or more to get him used to being petted. I have one who is still shy after a year but will let me pet him, especially after I found his sweet spot, just above the tail.

Good luck.

Mike V.

 
At 1:02 p.m., Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Thanks for the input Mike! He does love food, but at this point his skittish-ness of me overrides his love of food. I suspect once he gets a bit more used to me and comes close wilingly, food will definitely be a motivating factor!

It didn't take me too long to catch him - after trying to chase him (practically impossible in a large open area - he's pretty quick!), I had to form a *doggie barricade* around me with my other dogs and slowly inch my way towards him. I was able to grab him fairly easily. I just worry about stressing him out by chasing him around.

But I am seeing really tiny improvements almost every day, which makes me hopeful that he may come around one day.

 
At 10:47 a.m., Blogger Ted Heistman said...

He's a good looking boy, anyway!
I have a dog like that, maybe not quite as bad. I think its from not getting socialized as a pup. She let's me pet her now. But I think her real friends are dogs more than humans.
She seems to have warmed up to my wife though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home