Friday, March 11, 2005

Two Words: CRAP CONDITIONS!

Ok this really sucks! I think I'm going through a depression with the realization that winter is ending soon. This is normal though, happens every year. Once summer hits I adjust and enjoy it for a bit... till FALL comes!! Man, I love fall.

So Tyson and I went out for an *early morning* run - at about 9am, which is pretty good for me! Watered the dogs at around 8:00 while the temps were a nice -3C. That's not usually cause for excitement, but it is now with the unusual warm snap we've been having. It rapidly started warming up though right after we headed out, so we opted for the 7-mile run instead of the planned 10-miler. Luckily the ditches were still partly frozen and a bit slushy, not pure puddles of muck:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This fairly composed team is quite a contrast compared to the thrashing maniacs on the way out. The leaders, Jack & Harris ran high up on the snowy part of the ditch, to avoid stepping on that evil ice, and Gracie (in wheel) was bouncing over Lucy to get far far away from that death-trap. The veterans, Gabe & Rupert couldn't figure out what the big deal was as they sloshed through it without missing a beat. Good training though, because the ice-haters looked pretty good coming back:
. Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Hey! Where's our sunglasses?! My little blind boys, Jack & Harris.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here we are taking one of many cooling off breaks. Tyson is in behind and using Ripper in lead with his Zoe. He's also got Kate and Octane to complete his whopping 6-dog team on his NEW sprint sled!! I like how Jack's head is buried in the snow (on right in lead), and Kuna is *snowbathing* off to the left:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tyson and team on the move!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It was a good fun run. I guess now we'll just be focusing on these fun runs, and more leader training. You can never have enough training!!

What does any sled dog (or otherwise) deserve after a hot sunny run?!?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Mmmm.... frozen Arctic Char. Damn! That's good eatin'!!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 11:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stacie,

I feel your pain!! Too soon to end our winter. Went across the river today to do some firewood and crossed the slough a bit too close to land - only about 2 feet of water. The little tundra, pulling two emply trailers almost didn't make it. I had to swing way out onto the lake on the way back to be stay away from that stuff - oh an then is was snowing, like zero visibility while i'm in the middle of a half-melted lake. Boyle took his stakes down yesterday. I took the hockey equipment off the bay too.

 
At 10:52 a.m., Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Hey! It does suck eh?! Good to know about the river though - that sounded like a *fun* trip...

I can't even take out more than 5-6 dogs, and it's trashing my sled. The ride is icy and out of control - hell, I think I'll bust out the 4-wheeler to run the dogs now. Although - it's PLUS TWENTY in the day!!!!!

Watch - all the snow will be gone and it'll drop to -30 in April!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home