Thursday, March 31, 2005

Alien babies and dough-headed dogs

About 2 weeks ago, Gabe had a mysterious growth appear on his head. It just popped up overnight, and didn't go away quickly, so he was in to the vet soon after. The vet wasn't sure what it was, and thought it might just be a bruise since Gabe let him poke and prod at this tumour-like thing for a long time at the clinic. He sent us home, thinking it would just go away soon.

About 5 days later, this Alien-like growth seemed to migrate from over his eye to his cheek. I didn't know what the hell was going to come out of that sucker. Then it exploded. While I was away. On a weekend. I arrived the day after the little alien baby decided to birth itself and saw Gabe, who looked like he'd been shot in the head. Welcome home!!! It looked MUCH worse than it was, since he was scratching at it non-stop, helping release the litter of alien babies, blood and pus which kind of congealed on his face. The vet figured the growth was fine and getting smaller, until Gabe scratched at it, which popped it. Either way - Gabe was going under the knife!!

It's actually quite gross to look at. So... here it is!!!!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Poor guy looks pretty sad here. Try walking around with a gigantic plastic cone on your head and trying to navigate going down stairs onto ice, trying to get at those fish scraps with the cone bonking into the ground all the time, etc. But he's doing pretty good and negotiating his way through the bush quite nicely. And if I can't find him, I just stop and listen for the sound of the cone smacking into trees in the distance...

Anyways, you can see it is still sort of open and leaking. He had to have a *drain* put in to keep it from closing up completely. They are going to remove it tomorrow.

But, the days are looking brighter as Gabe and the cone become one....
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Apparently George was feeling left out and wanted something on her head too:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
If I was a nice, caring owner and wanted to spare her her shame, I wouldn't tell you all that this was the SECOND time she did that - that day! So, this time I was grabbing my camera and taking my time...

1 Comments:

At 6:02 p.m., Blogger Evan said...

Poor Gabe. He looks like the RCA Victor dog AND phonograph in one in the second photo. Either that or a lamp.

Glad to hear he is doing okay. Hope his recovery continues to go well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home