skijoring with 11 dogs...
ok, not all at once. But I did manage to get all dogs out skijoring. Two dogs at a time. It's amazing how these guys can adapt. Some have, I'm sure, never been in front of a pair of skis before with some flailing lunatic behind them. And you really get to see the *top end* of a dog, because for some reason, they want to go full out on the skis. I did have a few minor problems with them lining out (staying out in front while I got my crap together). Kate seemed to think it was time to party, even at the turnaround she was off in the bushes, dragging Ripper everywhere. We did about a 2k run to the Bay. The teams went something like this:
Jack-George - good combo! He worked 100% the whole way. She slacked a wee bit on the way back, but was happy going these speeds she usually isn't comfortable with.
Gabe-Octane - at first, they had trouble with figuring out what the heck I was putting them through now!! Gabe first realized, "aha! We're running! yes... that's what the harnesses are for, I remember now!" and took off, with a confused Octane kind of running along too, until he figured out the game plan. They went speedily, but were bummed when we turned around to go home. Actually, all the dogs were. They usually made me physically put them around the right way. I guess we all hate going over the same trail too often or quickly.
Kate-Ripper - Kate was a bit confused at the beginning as well, and went so far as to run right beside me. She does this on loose walks, will stick to your side like glue. She must have figured that's what was going on. But with a few gentle nudges to her butt, she joined Ripper soon enough. Ripper is always going 100 miles/hour anyways...
Rupert-Gracie - really surprisingly good! Gracie LOVES going full out! But... downside is that she isn't wild about going real far and slower... but she may make a great sprint skijoring dog this winter!? We'll see. Rupert was great, but a bit *off* - he has a nagging injury, and I'm not sure what it is yet. He worked so hard on the last sled run, he may have overdone it. That said, he did an amazing job for a dog who is slightly off.
Lucy-Kuna-Harris - now, this was my most brilliant idea of the night. The pair was Harris/Lucy, but I had to attach Kuna somehow (can't leave anyone behind!!), since we were in the ditch beside the highway. I decided just to give him his own tugline, and see how it goes.... well, at the end of the driveway, Kuna went left (we never go left!!), Harris went right, Lucy & I went straight! Straight into the willow bushes at 20km/hour I'm sure! Or... that's what it seemed like. I'm glad I didn't cut Lucy with the skis, and she was fine. I however, was slightly wounded (just a few minor bruises!) and stuck in the bushes. Then of course, the dogs all got tangled and it took a few minutes to get going. The great thing is, is that my neighbor came outside *just* before the wipeout and was able to watch it all unfold!
This 21/2 hour skijoring session left me, oh, basically unable to lift my arms the next day. Although I only had the one wipeout which I will totally blame on... Kuna!
However, that won't stop us! Jack & Harris and I are doing a 7-miler with Team Rottie tonight!!



1 Comments:
2km to the Bay? Did you find a parking spot in all of the pre-Christmas mayhem? Almost as bad as a white sale!
Love the anonymous postings! Blogger.com is the best! I'd even acknowledge it on any of my blogs....
Post a Comment
<< Home