What else? The dogs!!
Hopefully I get my crap together soon and get some pics up here. Gotta beg/borrow/steal a digi-cam for that, so we'll work on it. Here's the dogs (in order of arrival):
KUNA - 6 yrs. This big ol' 90lb goof came from Calgary with me up to the greater, whiter (not now tho) north. I dragged his furry ass up here Dec. '99, and he never saw it coming! We shared a 15x15 cabin with no running water, no power, nuthin' for the first 6 months alone. He was introduced to a world of 100+ sleddogs, and waited patiently while I took the sleddogs and crazy tourists on day trips. He was always happy to see me return. We bonded during that time, and in my off time, went skiing, on lots of walks, plus, he had LOADS of new dog friends. He was the best, when I'd take out a pile of puppies, they'd all chase him like he was their mother. And he was so playful with them, like a pup himself. He's always happy to dominate other dogs though. Kuna comes out on runs, but is loose for the most part. He can easily do 20-milers with us, but goes at Kuna-pace, not our pace. Y'know, he's usually got things to do out there on the trail, sniff some bushes, pee on some bushes, chase some figments of his imagination, etc. Then he will join us when he damn well feels like it.
My favourite Kuna-story is when we had a group of German tourists visiting the kennel one day. Kuna was tied up at the end of the dog yard, hanging out beside Molly and Gabe. Well, the tourists are being shown around the puppy pen, and right in behind that was Kuna, playing with Molly. All of a sudden, someone says to me, "uh, stacie, you better check on your dog over there..." and there was Kuna and Molly doing it doggie-style!! Wow, what a treat for the tourists as they all look over at these two exhibitionists who are now done the deed, and looking back at us while still stuck together post-coitus! I swear Kuna had a big grin on that ol' mug of his. I did hear a few gasps come from these people, but luckily they were soon distracted by the cuteness of the pups nearby.
GRACIE - 43 lbs. 4 yrs. She was in an accidental breeding with the sleddogs and a handlers Inuit/Husky-x dog. The musher didn't really want them, so I instantly started looking them over (this is where it all begins, folks). This seemingly sweet girl melted in my arms and cuddled with me the minute I picked her up, and then the second I put her down, would promptly terrorize the other pups and contribute to the puppy mayhem in the puppy pen. Man, I still remember one day I went in there to scoop poop and came out almost crying because they were jumping up, scratching me, gnawing at me, ripping apart my shoelaces, and tripping me, it was insane!! She's still like that to this day, a big baby sleeping on me on the couch one minute, then growling at any other dog for coming near me the next. I got her first at about 3 months or so. Her and Kuna hit it off, and still do to this day.... unless he annoys her, then she'll put his 90lb ass in place. For a sleddog, she's pretty good when she wants to be one. Her problem is containing her excitement when we start. That's usually her downfall, is she gets so excited, she'll jump on her partner repeatedly and drive them crazy. She also likes to chew the lines. But... once we get going, she can go pretty speedy and gives it her all. One drawback, is she gets a bit bored after a while. But, we're doing 10-12 miles now, and she's been super consistent (fingers crossed!!).
GEORGE - sister to Gracie & Lucy. 45 lbs. Got George and Lucy at about 6 months. George is by far the one with the nicest, fastest, smoothest trot. She is never real excited about harnessing up and getting ready (I think she's just stressed?), but this year on the trail when we stop, she's screaming it up with the rest of them. She's having her best start so far. Doesn't like to lope much, will always break into a trot. I know if she starts loping, we're going a bit too fast. She is as bossy as Gracie, and isn't very tolerant of younger or goofier dogs. Also has a very sweet side, and lives to lay in front of the wood stove.
LUCY
45 lbs. Lucy is unlike her sisters in that she can be soooo super mellow, that I often wonder if she has a thought at all in that furry head of hers!! Out of the 3, she is by far, the most consistent. I can always rely on her to work hard, and if she isn't, something is up. Her problem, is that she's so bloody furry, that she overheats more easily than all the others. She's more tolerant of other dogs and younger dogs, and I can pair her up in the team with any other dog.
GABE - 60 lbs. 10 yrs. Gabe came to me at about 5 years old. I really needed a leader or at least a trained sleddog to get these females running! I loved Gabe in the yard, and the musher got rid of him because he had a history of epiliepsy. He's had a few, infrequent seizures with me, but nothing serious, thank goodness. I have to watch him closely in warmer weather - seems to affect him more then. But he really was the reason I was able to get out that first year mushing. He's a big sweet lab-looking floppy eared white dog. He led us through our first race (12 miles - Carbon Hill - Red Lantern winner!! Uh, last place for you non-mushers...), and it was a blast!! The dogs were a bit freaked out and I had to basically lead them through at the finish line. But I was hooked. Gabe can lead, sometimes, depends on the day really... but he's very consistent in the team. And ALWAYS the first one to start barking when we stop for a rest. Usually about 5 seconds after we stop....



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home